Marloes Peninsula working holidays 2014
It’s easy to see why National Geographic recently voted Pembrokeshire the second best coastal destination in the world, sharing the honour with the Tutukaka coast in New Zealand and beating places like the Seychelles, Bermuda and Costa Rica.
Our magical corner of Wales is blessed with dramatic coastal scenery, wildlife, clean air, quiet lanes, ancient history, and world-class outdoor recreation activities.
And we think one of the best ways to experience this is by coming on one of our working holidays in north Pembrokeshire.
You’ll spend five days alongside a ranger, getting stuck into all sorts of conservation and access improvement tasks. Here’s what one group got up to recently at nearby Abermawr.
We’ve planned some amazing working holidays for 2014:
- Repairing buildings and features around the Victorian farmyard and outbuildings of Southwood Farm, our home farm for North Pembrokeshire.
- Constructing traditional Pembrokeshire hedgebanks at Southwood Farm.
- Clearing gorse to create firebreaks and reveal archaeology on the ancient coastal landscape of St David's Head and Penberi.
- Repairing path surfaces, steps and drainage ditches in the beautiful woods behind Abermawr beach.
- Surveying for prehistoric flint remains on farmland overlooking Gateholm Island and clearing gorse to protect a nearby Iron Age coastal fort.
It's not all work
We want our volunteers to leave with extra special memories. Your ranger will provide a day’s guided walk along the Pembrokeshire Coast Path, highlighting the history, archaeology and coastal management of Wales’s most westerly edge.
To get closer to the sea, you’ll spend another day sea kayaking or surfing. It’s a truly unforgettable way to see our beautiful coastline and the special wildlife that lives here.
We’ve teamed up with local outdoor activity centre Preseli Venture to provide these activities as part of the working holiday package. They supply a friendly expert instructor and all the equipment – just bring your swimwear.
How to book
Find a last minute break or check the availability of forthcoming working holidays in Pembrokeshire by visiting our working holiday pages.