The Watermill from 1323 to the present day
The first mention of a mill is made in 1323 when the estate passed to the Knights Hospitaller. However, we know the present building dates from the early 19th-century. Although primarily a corn mill, the mill has also been used to provide power to the estate's gypsum mines. The mill ceased to work in the 1940s and gradually fell into a state of ruin. Restoration began in the late 1980s at which time the woodland walks were also opened up allowing visitors much greater access to the property. The mill is now partially restored and has been opened to the public since 1996.
Restoring the watermill
A new hopper
Here Bob guides a new hopper into position to use with the Watermill.
New fixtures & fittings
All this new 'furniture' was put in place for the new hopper to be fitted.