The very beginning
The house was built back in 1350 during medieval times and reign of Edward III. A rare surviving example of a Wealden timber framed hall house and although called the Clergy House it was unusual for the priest of the parish to live there. Most of the time the house was rented out by the church as a source of income.
Saved by the National Trust
The house, was the first building to be purchased and saved for everyone for ever by the then newly formed National Trust in 1896. Our logo is an oak leaf - was this oak leaf carved into a beam of the hall the inspiration behind it?
Key events throughout the years
- 1350 - House built by a farmer who prospered after the Black Death
- 1395 - The church take over the ownership of the Clergy House
- 1600 - All the windows of the house are glazed
- 1800 - House divided into two cottages
- 1885 - Church authorities seek permission to demolish house
- 1888 - Death of Harriet Coates, the last occupant of the house
- 1896 - We buy the house for £10