Access for all at Gibside
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
We are keen to make it as easy as possible for all our visitors to explore Gibside. This is not always easy as we are an historic landscape, nestled into a hilly valley, however, here are some of the facilities and services we offer.
If you have any questions or special access needs, please call us on 01207 541820 before you visit.
- We have 14 easy access parking spaces for blue badge holders near the entrance of our new main car park, the first car park you reach when you arrive at Gibside. It has a level tarmac surface. These spaces are about 70 metres from visitor reception and the path there is 1:18 uphill. A wheelchair-friendly shuttle bus picks up and drops off from this car park every 10 minutes.
- We have seven easy access parking spaces near the exit of our second car park. It has a loose gravel surface and the spaces are located on a slight sideways slope. These spaces are about 10 metres from visitor reception and the path there is 1:12 uphill.
Shuttle bus service
- Our new car parks and visitor reception are about an extra five minutes walk away from our cafe and shop. To make it easier for visitors with reduced mobility, we have a wheelchair and buggy-friendly shuttle bus service running between our car parks, visitor reception and market place. This runs every 10 minutes all day.
- We have a second accessible shuttle bus running through the estate between our market place and Stables every half hour (or on call in winter). You can hail a ride while it is en route too!
- There is seating located at each shuttle bus stop to enable visitors to rest while waiting for the bus to arrive.
Powered mobility vehicles (Trampers)
- Our two powered mobility vehicles, known as 'trampers', offer visitors with reduced mobility a fantastic chance to explore Gibside's gardens and woodland.
- They are very easy to operate and we provide you with a briefing, test drive and route map before you set off. Our trampers are free to borrow but we recommend you call us in advance on 01207 541820 to book one as they are very popular.
- Our new raised walkway rises gently from visitor reception towards the cafe and shop, bypassing Gibside's estate drive and offering a 1:12 gradient.
- At five metres above the woodland floor, it has an octagonal viewing area which offers a great chance to spot birds in trees.
- There are eight steps and a step-free bypass (1:10) near the top of the walkway. These will be replaced with a permanent step-free ramp later this year.
Other easy access facilities
- We have an accessible toilet in our market place and at the Stables.
- We have two wheelchairs available to borrow for free.
- We have a powered stair climber at our Chapel for those who find it difficult to climb the steps.
- We have a lift at our Stables for those using the facilities upstairs.
- We have level access into our Potting Shed cafe via the shop.
If you have any questions about these facilities or have special access needs, please get in touch on 01207 541820 before you visit.