Asparagus, black pudding and poached egg salad
Starters and soups
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 3 bunches of asparagus
- 500g black pudding, skin removed and cut into 1cm thick slices
- 3 heads of mixed leaves, washed and torn
- spring onion thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
- 4 eggs
- Preheat a deep pan of boiling water. While the water is coming to the boil prepare the asparagus by bending it until it breaks. This ensures you are left with the best part to eat and that it isn’t woody.
- Drop the asparagus into the boiling water and cook for 1 minute 30 seconds. Remove from the pan and refresh under cold water, reserving the rest of the hot water in the pan. Place the mixed leaves and chopped spring onion into a mixing bowl and dress with 4 tablespoons of rapeseed oil.
- In a frying pan heat 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the black pudding for 40 seconds each side. Once the black pudding has been turned, add the blanched asparagus to warm back through.
- Lower the heat under the pan of water to a simmer and put the eggs in in their shells for 10 seconds; this helps to achieve a perfectly shaped poached egg. Remove the eggs, swirl the water with a slotted spoon to create a whirl pool and crack the eggs into the centre of the spinning water. Cook for approximately 1 minute.
- While the egg cooks, add the black pudding and asparagus to the mixing bowl with the salad and mix. Split the salad equally between 4 bowls then finish by placing a poached egg on top.