Longshaw's rhubarb and orange cake with flaked almonds
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
- 400g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 150g butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 75g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100g ground almonds
- Grated zest of 1 small orange plus 2 tbsp juice
- 25g flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 190°C, gas mark 5
- Grease a 23cm springform cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Place the rhubarb in a bowl and cover with 50g of the sugar.
- Leave for 30 minutes whilst preparing the rest of the cake.
- Beat together the remaining sugar and the butter, then whisk in the eggs.
- Using a metal spoon gently fold in the flour, baking powder and ground almonds, then stir in the orange zest and juice.
- Stir the rhubarb and its sugary juices into the cake mixture and spoon into the prepared tin.
- Place on a baking tray, sprinkle over the flaked almonds and bake for 25 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 180°C, gas mark 4 and cook for a further 20-25 minutes or until firm.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with softly whipped cream or custard.