Stourhead's chocolate orange cake
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
For the sponge:
- 225g (8oz) margarine
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) self raising flour
- 30g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 orange (juice and zest)
For the icing:
- 170g (6oz) icing sugar
- 85g (3oz) butter
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- Chocolate shavings
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Beat together the margarine and caster sugar.
3. Add each of the 4 eggs one at a time with a little flour to prevent it from curdling.
4. Fold in the remaining flour and the cocoa powder.
5. Add the zest and juice of an orange.
6. Pour into a greased cake tin and cook for 25 - 30 minutes.
7. Once cooked, remove the cake from tin and allow to cool.
8. To make the icing, beat the icing sugar and butter together.
9. Next add the grated zest of half and orange.
10. Finally, spread over the cake and add chocolate shavings for decoration.