Win a year of Good Energy for 2014
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
We're harnessing the power of nature and being careful with energy, water and waste so that the special places we look after can be beautiful and useful forever.
Join us in celebrating everything that is both #beautifulanduseful in your life by shooting a short video or snapping a photo. You could win a year’s supply of renewable electricity and a home energy audit with our partner Good Energy.
SORRY - THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED.
Return to our energy and environment page.
How to get involved
Entering the competition is easy. All you need to do is shoot a short video or take a photo of something you find both beautiful and useful, and share it with us on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #beautifulanduseful and mentioning @nationaltrust.
The competition closes at midnight on Thursday 12 December, so get those entries in for a chance to win.
Beautiful and useful inspiration
Our beautiful and useful inspiration videos were put together by Charis Williams, professional artist, up-cycler and TV expert. We found out how she got into up-cycling and delved behind the making of the films. Some of her tips might be useful for your own photos and videos.
Terms and conditions
1. This competition is open to all residents of the UK aged 18 or over, except for employees of the National Trust and Good Energy, their families or anyone else associated with this competition.
2. All information detailing how to enter this competition forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all terms and conditions are adhered to. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
3. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
4. Any number of videos or images may be submitted.
5. To Enter: Upload your video or photograph to any suitable hosting platform and share this content or a link to this content in a Twitter or Instagram post with @nationaltrust and #beautifulanduseful. You must include @nationaltrust and use the hashtag #beautifulanduseful for your entry to be included.
6. Entries will be rejected if they:
a. contain defamatory, malicious, indecent or other inappropriate content;
b. include the names, likenesses, photographs, videos or similar of any individual without their express permission;
c. represent a danger to health and safety;
d. disparage the promoter or any other person or party affiliated with the promotion;
e. breach any of Twitter or Instagram’s rules, guidelines and policies.
7. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the consent of anyone who is identifiable in that image or the consent of their parent/guardian if they are under 16 and that they have been advised of the purpose of the submission and that their photograph or video may be published by the National Trust or Good Energy.
8. Entrants must ensure that the videos and photographs they are submitting are their own work, that they own the copyright for them and that they do not infringe the copyright or other rights of any third party or any laws.
9. Entrants will retain copyright and moral rights in their submitted images however, by entering, all entrants:
(a) grant the National Trust non-exclusive rights to use the videos or images to promote the competition the images were submitted to or for similar future competitions within a five year period of the winners of the competition being announced
(b) agree that the use referred to at Clause 9(a) above may include publishing, displaying or otherwise reproducing the images (whether on the internet, in the National Trust Magazine, in exhibitions or otherwise) provided such use is for the purposes of promoting the competition or similar future competitions only
(c) agree that the National Trust may contact them using the contact details they provide to discuss potential use of the images beyond promotion of the competition. Such discussion and negotiation will be independent from the competition and will not affect entrants’ chances of winning.
10. Winners will be notified through a direct message or @mention via Twitter or Instagram by 19 December. If a winner cannot be contacted or is not available within a week of notification the judges reserve the right to select another winner from the eligible entries which were received before the closing date.
11. One winner will receive a Good Energy electricity bill credit to the value of £550; and a home energy audit which Good Energy will organise.
12. No cash alternative will be substituted for the prize. The prize is an electricity bill credit up to the value of £550.
13. In order to claim the grand prize, the winner will need to switch their electricity supply to Good Energy or be an existing Good Energy customer.
14. The prize winner agrees to take part in any post-competition publicity. The winners name will be displayed on the website and any related public relations material.
15. Events may occur that render the competition itself or the awarding of the prizes impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the National Trust and accordingly the National Trust may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the promotion and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to the promoter as a result thereof.
16. English law applies and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts shall prevail.