Snowshill bread pudding
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 500g (1lb 2oz) stale bread (if possible a mixture of brown and white)
- 600ml (1 pint) hot water
- 100g (3½ oz) butter
- 600g (1lb 5oz) mixed dried fruit
- 2 level tbsp of mixed spice
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- 150g (5oz) dark brown sugar
- 50g (2oz) demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Tear bread into small pieces, even the crusts.
- Place in bowl and add hot water, enough water to cover the bread.
- Leave to soak for at least 20 minutes or if possible overnight.
- Squeeze excess water from bread.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease and line (with baking parchment) a 20cm square tin. It's important that the tin doesn't have a loose bottom.
- Melt the butter and leave to cool slightly.
- Stir the mixed fruit, mixed spice, lemon and orange zest into the bread.
- Add the eggs, melted butter and dark brown sugar.
- Mix well and set aside for 20 minutes to soak.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for between 1 hour 15 minutes and 1 hour 30 minutes until firm and golden. (Tip- if the top starts to burn before the pudding is ready, cover with baking parchment).
- Take out of oven and sprinkle with demerara sugar.