Journey of discovery
We're delighted to introduce a new series in the National Trust Magazine for our family members this year. Every issue of your magazine in 2014 has contain a specially commissioned seasonal poster, beautifully drawn by the renowned Little Red Train children’s illustrator, Benedict Blathwayt. Additional copies of the poster can be downloaded from this page.
We're inviting you to find a spare hour, take your magazine and your family outdoors with you, and see what you can find. Use your poster for our suggestions of plants and animals to look out for.
You could win
We are also offering our younger members the chance to win one of the three original ‘Journey of Discovery’ artworks that we commissioned especially for this series.
For your chance to win this wonderful prize, we’d like you to recreate the journey of discovery that our article has inspired you to make. It can take any form you like – a short story or a poem, a collage or a painting, a drawing or a photograph. Just be sure that it is inspired by your own outdoor adventure and clearly set in your chosen season of spring, summer of autumn.
The magazine team will select one winner from each of the following three age groups:
- Group 1: up to 6 years
- Group 2: 7-11 years
- Group 3: 12-16 years (inclusive)
Read the full details of how to send us your entry, including full terms and conditions
1. The competition is open to any child aged 16 years old or younger and whose parent or legal guardian is a National Trust member on 31 October 2014.
2. Entrants must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian prior to submitting their entry. Only one entry per child will be accepted.
3. All entries must be received by 23:59 on 10 October 2014.
4. Entries should be submitted to email@example.com or sent by post to National Trust Magazine, Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon, SN2 2NA. Each entry must contain:
a. the entrant’s name
b. the entrant’s date of birth
c. the entrant’s parent or legal guardian’s name and membership number
d. the entrant’s parent or legal guardian’s email address and telephone number
e. which age category the entrant falls into
f. the entrant’s parent or legal guardian’s signature of consent
Unfortunately we will not be able to consider your entry if you do not include this information. We regret that entries sent by post cannot be returned.
5. Entries can be in any format – a short story or a poem, a collage or a painting, a drawing or a photograph. Each entry must simply recreate a journey of discovery that the entrant has experienced.
6. The prizes consist of three original framed illustrations by ‘Little Red Train’ illustrator Benedict Blathwayt. One winner will be selected from each of the following three age groups to receive one of the illustrations:
a. Group 1: up to 6 years
b. Group 2: 7-11 years
c. Group 3: 12-16 years (inclusive)
The National Trust Magazine team will select the winning entries on the basis of which entries best fulfill the brief. The National Trust Magazine team will decide which winner receives which artwork. No cash alternative will be offered, and the decision of the judges is final.
7. Winners will be notified by email or phone by 17:00 on 17 October 2014. If a winner cannot be contacted or is not available, the judges reserve the right to select another winner from the eligible entries that were received before the closing date.
8. The winners may be requested to take part in publicity and for their name, photograph, county to be published on the National Trust website, in the National Trust Magazine and other publications within reason.
9. All entries submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other competition. Entrants must ensure that the works they are submitting do not infringe the copyright or other rights of any third party or any laws.
10. Entrants will retain copyright and moral rights to their submitted entries. However, by entering the competition the entrant gives permission for the National Trust and its group companies to use their entry for the purposes of promoting the competition. Entrants also agree that the National Trust may contact them using the contact details they provide to agree use of the entry beyond this competition and its promotion. Such discussion and negotiation will be independent from the competition and will not affect entrants’ chances of winning.
11. The National Trust will ensure the entrant will always be credited whenever their entry is used and published by the National Trust.
12. If your entry is a photograph or film and any person is identifiable in the photograph or film, the consent of that person (or their parent or legal guardian if under 16) will need to be obtained in writing. They must have been advised of the purpose of the photograph or film and that it may be published by the National Trust for the purposes of promoting the competition. If your photograph or film is chosen as a winning entry and features people, we will need the persons identifiable in the photograph or film to complete a standard model release form prior to us publishing your entry.
13. Events may occur that render the competition itself or the awarding of the prizes impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the National Trust and accordingly the National Trust may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the promotion. The entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to the promoter as a result thereof.
14. English law applies and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts shall prevail.