Family fun at Rufford Old Hall
Latest update 16.07.2014 14:54
Entertaining family fun is the name of the game at Rufford Old Hall, Lancashire over the summer holidays, so why not plan a visit with the kids and take part in a variety of activities we have on offer?
We’ve an exciting daily programme of child-friendly events, including digging for Tudor artefacts, bug hunting, taking lessons in order to become a little Lady or Gentleman or challenging your family to some sporty activity on the paddock. Whatever your preference, there is something for children of all ages whether it’s indoors or outdoors.
Rufford Old Hall is also playing a part in the National Trust’s ‘50 things to do before you’re 11¾’ on-going campaign, which was originally launched in April 2012 with a list of the best outdoor adventures for children to experience by the age of 11¾.
Nature misses you
This year, we're aiming to get 200,000 kids playing outside over summer as part of our commitment to connect with and enjoy the natural environment. By September we hope to have helped one in twenty of Britain’s 7-12 year olds (5 per cent) break their reliance on gadgets and computers for entertainment, and experience the simple pleasures of outdoor adventure.
Rufford Old Hall is supporting the national campaign and will host ‘50 things’ ranger-led and self-led activities for kids to complete and tick off their bucket list to include; den building, making mud pies, snail racing, bare foot walking, bird watching, bug hunts, ‘plant it, grow it, eat it', making a home for a wild animal and creating wild art.
Tom Brockington, National Trust 50 Things champion for the North West says: 'We want to encourage children to care about nature, so it becomes part of their life as they grow up and they protect Britain’s special places for years to come.'
Rufford Old Hall has something happening most days of the week over the summer holidays, from Tudor games to fascinating facts about Tudor feasting; from ‘Shakespeare 450 -the fun stuff’, to trying your hand as a Little Butler or Maid.
Here are just a few dates/activities on offer:
- Mon 28 Jul - Community Art project-Join our local artists to help create a piece of art for display at Rufford Old Hall.
- Wed 30 Jul - Be Sporty-Challenge your family in the sports activities in the Paddock.
- Tues 5 Aug - Above Stairs at Rufford - Meet the Governess and complete the lessons to become a little Lady or Gentleman.
- Mon 11 Aug - Tudor Games - Have a go at cup and ball, skittles and lots of other pastime games.
- Tues 12 Aug - Insight into Armour - Learn about our collection of armour and try a piece on.
- Wed 13 Aug - Create Some Wild Art - Be inspired and spend an arty afternoon in the woods
- Sun 17 Aug - Vets 4 Pets Roadshow
Now open 6 days a week throughout August, discover something different every day at Rufford Old Hall near Ormskirk, from the changing fortunes of the family who lived here, to Shakespeare’s connections with the house. Walk along the canal, run around the meadow, tick off some ‘50 things to do before your 11 ¾’ or enjoy a delicious cream tea in our tea room.