This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Over the last 20 years Snowdonia has lost 6,400 acres of grass moor, 6,400 acres of unimproved pasture, 3,900 acres of upland heath, 60 miles of hedgerow, and 33 miles of dry stonewall, all features that make Snowdonia so special.
We are striving to maintain a delicate balance between the need to preserve the landscape beauty of Snowdonia and protect its wildlife habitats on the one hand, and the need to promote and enhance public access - so all may enjoy its beauty, on the other.
Helping to preserve the Welsh culture
We recognise that the countryside is a dynamic environment, and we must ensure the well-being of the people and communities who live and work here. In Snowdonia keeping people on the land helps with the survival of small rural communities - the backbone of Welsh culture and the language.
The Snowdonia Appeal works in this context - helping us acquire and care for areas of outstanding natural beauty or historic interest and providing training, employment and opportunities for small businesses, whilst preserving Welsh culture.
The appeal funds projects and work programmes for:-
- Acquisition - Purchase of areas of outstanding natural beauty for historic interest under threat from potential commercial development or damage to environment
- Landscape preservation - Including restoration of dry stonewalls, hedgerows and traditional rural buildings
- Public access - Repair of footpaths, gates and stiles. Provision of information and facilities for visitors, including special provision for disabled access
- Nature conservation - Preservation of wildlife habitat including woodland management, restoration and care of upland heath, bog and unimproved pasture
- Education - Provision of education centres, staffing and educational material
We need your help
We must act quickly to repair footpaths, maintain dry stone walls and buildings and help protect rare plants like the Snowdon Lily. But we can’t do it without you. We need your help to enable us to carry out this work.
Please make a donation today – and help keep Snowdonia beautiful for generations to come.