Roast pears with rosemary
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
Baking fruit is a lovely way to serve autumn fruit. Quince and pears are particularly good and equally delicious served warm or at room temperature.
You can vary the flavourings: vanilla, cinnamon and cloves all taste delicious.
- 30g/1oz butter
- 12 small ripe pears
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 300ml/10½ fl oz Sauternes wine
- 6 sprigs rosemary
- 55g/2oz caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 7.
- Put the Sauternes wine, sugar, butter and rosemary in a wide oven-proof casserole dish
- Peel and halve each pear. As you prepare each pear, slip them into the wine, taking care to thoroughly coat them in it to prevent them from discolouring.
- Set over a high heat and bring up to the boil, then place the uncovered dish in the preheated oven
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the pears are tender and caramelised in some places.
- Serve with the warm buttery juices and lots of double cream