White Cliffs of Dover strawberry tart recipe
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 500g (1.1lbs) strawberries
- 1tsp cornflour
- 200ml (6.7fl oz) water
- 25g (1oz) sugar
- 240g butter (8.5oz)
- 160g caster sugar (5.6oz)
- 400g plain flour (14.1oz)
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 egg
How to make the pastry for the tart:
- Pre-heat oven to 170C.
- Combine butter and sugar until soft and fluffy, then add egg and zest of lemon. Mix together.
- Add flour and mix to form dough. Pop in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Grease a 7" flan tin or rin.
- Roll out dough into a circle shape and line flan tin.
- Bake pastry blind for 20 minutes. Prick bottom layer of pastry in the tin, place grease proof paper in middle and put baking beans on top. If you don't have baking beans, rice can be used.
- Remove from oven, removing greaseproof paper and beans. Return to oven for another 10 minutes - check it's cooked and allow to cool.
- Slice strawberries and arrange in cold tart shell.
- Heat water and sugar together in a saucepan until sugar has dissolved.
- In another pan, mix cornflour with a small amount water until a smooth paste has formed, then pour the water and sugar solution on top of cornflour mix.
- Bring cornflour, sugar and water mix to the boil.
- Cook until mixture thickens, then cool slightly.
- Pour over sliced strawberries in pastry shell and refrigerate until set.
Optional variation - you can put cold vanilla custard into the tart shell before placing strawberries in it.