White Cliffs of Dover tomato soup
Starters and soups
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 1kg (2lb) ripe tomatoes - skinned and chopped finely
- 2 large onions chopped finely
- 1 small red pepper chopped finely
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 550ml (18fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1tsp mixed herbs
- 1tsp brown sugar
- Heat a saucepan, add the oil, and then sweat the onions and red pepper until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock, and bring to the boil.
- Add sugar, mixed herbs and a bay leaf and simmer for 1 hour.
- Put into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve with a crusty roll.