Plas Newydd's salmon and dill fishcakes
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- 4 salmon fillets approx 6oz
- 4 medium to large potatoes
- 2oz fresh dill
- Lemon juice (of half a lemon)
- Salt & pepper
- Milk (for poaching, amount dependent on dish used)
To prepare the salmon:
- Lay the salmon in an ovenproof dish.
- Add the dill.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and lightly season.
- Pour milk into dish, up to a quarter way up the salmon.
- Cover the dish.
- Place in the oven at 180C for approx 15 - 20 minutes.
To prepare the potatoes:
- Prepare the potatoes ready for cooking.
- Boil in seasoned water, for approx 15 minutes once the water has reached boiling point.
- Check often to ensure they're not too soft.
- Once ready mash the potatoes until smooth.
To prepare fishcakes:
- Drain the salmon, flake up and mix it with the mashed potato.
- Season the mixture to taste.
- Once the mixture is cooled, mould into the shape required.
- To finish, bake in an oven or pan fry and serve immediately. If baking 15 mins at 180C; 5 minutes each side if pan frying.
Buttered potatoes and a lemon mayonnaise make a perfect accompaniment.