Cragside's leek, cheese and onion bread pudding
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 285ml (10fl oz) single cream
- 285ml (10fl oz) milk
- 3 eggs
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 5 chunky slices of onion bread (buttered)
- 225g (8oz) grated Northumbrian Cheviot cheese
- 350g (12oz) leeks (sliced and cooked in butter)
- Preheat the oven at 160C.
- In a deep dish place half the buttered bread.
- layer on the leeks and half of the grated cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add another layer of buttered bread.
- Whisk the egg cream and milk together.
- Pour the whisked mixture over the butter, leeks and cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place the dish in a roasting tin with hot water.
- Bake until golden brown and set.