Eliza Acton's Madeira sauce
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Finely pared rind of 1/2 lemon
- 150ml (1/4 pint) water
- 50g (1 3/4oz) soft brown sugar
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 2 level teaspoons cornflour
- 150ml (1/4 pint) Madeira or sweet sherry
- Simmer lemon rind, water and sugar in a saucepan for 10–15 minutes.
- Strain to remove lemon rind.
- Return syrup to saucepan.
- Work butter and cornflour together in a small basin.
- Add small pieces of this creamed mixture to hot syrup to thicken.
- Add Madeira or sherry, and reheat, but don’t boil.
- Serve hot in a warmed sauceboat.
(c) National Trust Books/Sara Paston Williams, 2010.
Extracted from Good Old-Fashioned Comfort Puddings by Sara Paston-Williams (2010)
Loved this recipe? Buy Good Old-Fashioned Comfort Puddings by Sara Paston-Williams