Asparagus bread and butter pudding
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 bunch asparagus stalks, trimmed
- 15 ml oil
- half a red onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful fresh chives, finely chopped
- 4-6 slices medium sized bread, buttered and cut into triangles
- 3 eggs
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 ounces parmesan or an English hard cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to gas mark 5/190°C (180°C in a fan oven). Add asparagus to a pan of boiling, salted water and cook for 3-4 minutes, then drain and refresh in cold water and chop, leaving a few spears for the top.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add onion, along with a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Remove from heat and add drained asparagus and chives. Stir to combine and put to one side.
- Arrange half bread slices in an ovenproof dish then layer with asparagus mixture and remaining bread. In a jug, whisk together eggs, cream and half of the parmesan, and season well with freshly ground black pepper. Pour over top and sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Lay the remaining few spears of asparagus on the top and pat down slightly.
- Sit the dish on a baking tray and put it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until risen, cooked and golden.