Thomas Allinson's Winifred Pudding recipe
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 slice Allinson wholemeal batch bread, crusts removed
5 tbsp / 100ml whole milk
85g (3oz) unsalted butter, softened
85g (3oz) caster sugar
2 medium size eggs
Juice of 1 large lemon
1 tsp / 5ml lemon flavouring or lemon oil
250g (9oz) puff pastry, thawed if frozen
1 tbsp caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas mark 4.
- Lightly butter and flour a 9in (20cm) shallow plate pie dish. Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface and line the pie dish. Chill until ready to use
- Whizz the bread in a food processor to fine crumbs and tip into a bowl. Gently warm the milk and pour over the breadcrumbs and allow to stand for 5 minutes until cooled slightly and the breadcrumbs have absorbed the milk
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until they are pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until they are well incorporated.
- Beat the breadcrumbs mixture with a fork until it is smooth and then stir into the creamed mixture. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon oil and pour into the prepared pastry case.
- Bake for 30 minutes until it has risen and is golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the caster sugar and bake it for a further 5 minutes - this will give the pudding a crunchy top. Serve warm with pouring cream, custard or crème fraiche.
To serve cold: Mix together 2 tbsp / 20g icing sugar and a little water or freshly squeezed lemon juice to make a smooth icing. Drizzle over the pudding and serve.