- Serves: 1
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
This process was used to give roast poultry a gilded appearance. It really does make the Christmas bird look splendid.
25g unsalted butter
2tbs white wine vinegar
1 egg yolk
Large pinch of saffron strands
- Gently cook the saffron in the butter, until the butter has turned vibrant yellow. Strain to remove saffron strands.
- Return to the pan and add the sugar and vinegar. Cook until syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the yolk. Continue cooking gently, without boiling, until thick.
- Ten minutes before the bird is cooked, remove from the oven and paint it with the gilding mixture. Return to the oven and continue cooking.