Capon (chicken) with orange or lemon sauce
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 3 hours
- 1 capon or chicken
- 575ml chicken stock
- 50g currants
- 4 dates
- 225g oranges, mandarins, satsumas or lemons - peeled and segmented
- 5tsp ground black pepper
- 1tsp blade mace
- 3tbs sugar
- 1tbs goosewater
- 150ml white wine
- 225g white bread - cut into large crustless cubes.
- Put the capon or chicken into a pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently until tender. This will take anything from 45 minutes to 3 hours, depending upon the age and quality of the bird.
- Drain off 575ml of the stock. To this add the currants, dates and segments and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the fruit and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Place the bread cubes in the bottom of a serving dish and arrange the bird on top of the bread.
- Pour the flavoured stock over the bird and serve.