Red cabbage recipe from Avebury's kitchen garden
- Serves: 1
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
1 red cabbage
1 handful of sultanas (a handful)
1-2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbs dark brown sugar
1 cooking apple, peeled and chopped
- Slice red cabbage carefully with a strong knife. Put it into a colander, salting as you go.
- Shake cabbage and put to drain to remove excess moisture.
- Coarsely slice onion and cook on a low heat, in a large heavy pan, stir occasionally until softened. Remove excess salty moisture from cabbage, add to pan and stir.
- Add sultanas, apple, sugar, vinegar and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat, stirring.
- Cook over low heat for one hour, stirring to check it isn't sticking. Add a little vegetable stock if dry, which it shouldn’t be.