Last-minute quick-mix Christmas cake
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
225g wholemeal flour
140g soft dark sugar
140g unsalted butter – softened
175g mixed dried fruit
450g good quality mincemeat
55g walnuts – chopped
3tsp baking powder
2tsp mixed spice
Grated zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 170c/325f/G3.
- Grease and line a 20cm spring-form cake tin.
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until smooth and even.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Cut a circle of greaseproof paper and lay over the cake. Make a small hole in the centre of the paper to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake for 90-120 minutes, until the cake is firm and springy to the touch.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- If required, marzipan and ice the following day.