Spiced lamb (hogget) and potato pie
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced lamb (hogget)
300g onions – finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves – peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
- Brown the lamb, onions and garlic in the oil.
- Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
- Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the lamb mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
- Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
- Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
- Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.