Robartes pie recipe from Lanhydrock
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
335g (12oz) plain flour
65g (2.5 oz) butter, softened
65g (2.5oz) white flora
10g sage finely chopped
1 -2 tbsp cold water (if needed)
Filling and topping
2 freshly boiled potatoes (approx. 275g / 10oz weight, peeled)
175g (6oz) rindless streaky bacon rashers
250g (9oz) grated mature Cheddar cheese
450g (1lb) peeled eating apples, quartered and cored
Salt and pepper
25g (1oz) butter
- Put the flour, fats, egg and sage into a bowl and blend together. Add 1 or 2 table spoons of water (if needed) to make a soft, but not sticky, dough.
- Grease a loose-bottomed cake tin - 185mm (7.5in) x 75mm (3in) deep. Press the pastry evenly over the base and sides. Trim the top edge neatly. Chill.
- Chop potatoes into chunks and mash (with a little seasoning) until there are no lumps.
- Cut bacon into pieces and put to one side. Then, cut the cheese and apples into thin slices.
- Cover the base of the pastry case with 1/3 of sliced apples and season lightly. Cover with 1/3 of sliced cheese, then with 1/3 of bacon. Repeat these layers twice, almost filling the case.
- With a fork, beat the butter into the potato to make it creamy. Spread it over the pie. Bake at 163 degrees celsius/325 degrees fahrenheit (Gas Mark 6) for one hour.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes.