Hogget meatballs and chestnut stew
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
1.25kg lean minced hogget
3 garlic cloves-crushed
800g tinned chopped tomatoes
375ml red wine
1.25lt chicken stock
50g redcurrant jelly
18 small waxy Potatoes - cooked
18 cooked chestnuts (tinned or vacuum packed)
5g dried mixed herbs
15ml vegetable oil
Salt & pepper
- Mix the lamb with half the dried herbs and season with salt and pepper
- Shape the meat into 18 equal sized balls and rest in the fridge for an hour.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the meatballs for 4-5 minutes until they are brown.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add the tomatoes, garlic, carrots, wine, stock and remaining herbs.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently until the carrots are cooked.
- Add the redcurrant jelly and blitz the mixture to a chunky sauce.
- Add the meatballs, cooked potatoes and the chestnuts return to a simmer & cook for a further 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve in a bowl with either a lump of crispy bread or a baked dumpling.