Starters and soups
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
2kg leg of mutton-bone removed
6lt lamb stock
450g pearl barley
175g green split peas
175g yellow split peas
2 large onions-finely chopped
2 leeks-finely chopped
4 large carrots-finely chopped
4 medium turnips-finely chopped
4 celery stalks-finely chopped
Rapeseed oil for frying
Chopped parsley for garnishing
- Wash the pulses & soak overnight
- Place the mutton in a saucepan & completely cover with the stock. Simmer gently for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Top up the pan with water if necessary to ensure the meat remains covered. Skim as required.
- Remove the meat from the stock & cut into chunks when cool enough to handle.
- In a clean pan, heat a little oil & sweat off the vegetables until soft.
- Add the peas, barley & stock.
- Add the meat, simmer gently for 30 minutes, and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve in large bowls, garnished with chopped parsley, with crusty bread.