Mutton in beer
- Serves: 2
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
900g leg of lamb or mutton – boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions - finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices - cut into large crustless cubes
- Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain.
- Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
- After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.