Classic basic scones from York
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb (450g) Self raising flour
- 4 oz (100g) Granulated sugar
- 4 oz (100g) Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 2 Pinches Salt
- 7 1/2 fl oz (225ml) Milk
- Sift all the dry ingrediants into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter to create a soft dough mixture.
- Then add the milk to the now soft dough.
- Roll out the dough until it is 3/4" thick.
- Cut and brush with milk.
- Place on a baking tray and bake at 190oC for 15 mins.
If you have mastered the basic scone or want to spice things up a bit why not add some of the below ingrediants to the basic scone recipe:
- Chocolate and Orange - Add the rind from an orange, finely grated, plus 4 oz (100g) chocolate chips.
- Fruit - Add 4 oz (100g) of sultanas to the dry ingredients.
- Lavender - Add 2 teaspoons of lavender to dry ingredients. Sprinkle with a little lavender before baking.
- Spiced Apple - Add 1 teaspoons of mixed spice to flour. Add 3 oz grated Granny Smith apple to mix. Check quantity of milk as apple will add moisture.