Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- 220g unsalted butter
- 50g lard
- 300g soft brown sugar
- 6 eggs - beaten
- 400g apples - weighed when peeled and chopped
- 400g mincemeat
- 450g self-raising flour - sieved
- A little milk if required
- Grease 2x1.2-1.5 litre (2-2.5 pint) pudding basins. Alternatively grease 12 individual ‘babies head’ pudding basins. Put a round of greased greaseproof paper in the base.
- Cream together the fats until pale and fluffy.
- Add the beaten eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the apples and mincemeat. Gently fold in the flour.
- If necessary add a little milk to the mixture to give a soft dropping consistency. The mixture should be moist.
- Spoon the mixture into the basins, filling each by two-thirds.
- Cover the basins loosely with a double layer of greaseproof paper or a piece of foil and secure with string.
- Steam for two hours.
- Turn out and serve with any sort of fruit sauce, custard or cream.
- This pudding can be left to get cold and portions or individual puddings, reheated in a microwave as required.