Mulled wine pears
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 10 firm pears – peeled with stalks left attached
- 500ml fruity red wine
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick – broken into rough pieces
- Juice and pared peel of 1 orange
- Pour the wine into a medium pan – the pears will need to fit snugly in the pan in a single layer.
- Add the orange peel and juice, the star anise, cinnamon and sugar.
- Heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the pears and bring to simmering point, cover and reduce the heat to as low as possible and gently poach for 15-20 minutes or until the pears are tender. Turn the pears from time to time so they colour evenly.
- Transfer the pears to the serving dish and strain the poaching liquid into a clean pan.
- Return to the heat and boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes to reduce and make syrupy.
- The pears are best served at room temperature with hot syrup and a dollop of crème fraiche.