Chocolate swirl meringues
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 1
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours
- 20 egg whites
- 1.125kg caster sugar
- 15g cornflour
- 100g cocoa powder - sieved
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/G2
- Line baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Place the egg whites and caster sugar in a large heatproof bowl and sit over a pan of simmering water. Be careful for the bottom of the bowl not to come in contact with the water.
- Stir the whites with a wooden spoon until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is quite hot to the touch.
- Remove from the heat and whisk the whites until the meringue is very thick, white and glossy.
- Whisk in the cornflour.
- Using a large metal spoon, mix the cocoa powder into the meringue, using only 3-4 strokes. Don’t mix it thoroughly; you want to leave swirls of dry cocoa powder through the meringue.
- Spoon the meringue onto the prepared baking sheets in 30 large spoonfuls, making each meringue as ‘peaky’ as possible.
- Place the meringues in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 120°C/250°F/G Half.
- Bake for two hours, then turn off the oven and leave the meringues inside until the oven is completely cold, preferably overnight.