Mary Anne's cushion
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 400g puff pastry – peeled, quartered, cored and sliced
- 1 bramley apple
- 70g apricot jam
- 55g unsalted butter - softened
- 1 egg - beaten
- 15g plain flour
- 55g caster sugar
- 55g ground almonds
- Icing sugar for glazing
- Egg wash
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/G7
- Roll out a third of the pastry and cut into a 20cm circle.
- Place on a baking sheet and spread the centre with the apricot jam, keeping a clear edge to the pastry of 2-3cm.
- Cream together the butter and sugar add the beaten egg and fold in the flour and ground almonds.
- Spread the almond mixture over the jam, leaving the pastry edges clear.
- Arrange the apple slices evenly over the almond mixture.
- Brush the base pastry edges with egg wash.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into a circle large enough to cover the apple filling to the edge of the base pastry.
- Seal and decorate the edges. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 250°C/475°F/G9.
- Dust the cushion with icing sugar and when up to temperature, return to the oven to glaze. This will only take a few minutes, so take care for it not to burn.