Caramel apple tart
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 50 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 400g ready-made puff pastry
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 500g granny smith apples – peeled, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 50g semolina
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g unsalted butter - melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/G6.
- Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a one pound coin and cut into a 22cm round. Place on a baking sheet.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Sprinkle with half the sugar followed by all the semolina and ground almonds.
- Chill the pastry for at least 30 minutes or until required.
- Arrange the sliced apples on the pastry disc, right up to the edge, in over-lapping rosette patterns.
- Brush the apples with the melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then brown under a hot grill for a further few minutes until the apples turn a dark golden colour.
- To allow the caramel to harden, leave the tart to cool to room temperature before serving.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream.