Apple and orange crumble
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 3 oranges
- 900g cooking apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 3tbsp demerara sugar
- A good pinch of cinnamon
- 170g plain flour
- 115g unsalted butter
- 55g caster sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/G6.
- To make the crumble: blitz the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a processor to a fine crumb. Stir in the caster sugar.
- Rub the crumb with your finger tips so the mixture begins to form clumps. Chill in the fridge.
- Peel the oranges with a sharp or small serrated knife, removing all the white pith. Over a bowl, cut the oranges into segments, discarding the membranes but reserving the juice.
- Stir the chopped apples, demerara sugar and cinnamon into the oranges and place the filling into an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the crumble topping then place on a baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until well-browned.
- Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream.