Blackberry and apple upside-down cake
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 140g unsalted butter - softened
- 140g caster sugar
- 3tbsp caster sugar
- 3 apples - peeled, cored and cut into quarters
- 250g blackberries
- 3 eggs - lightly beaten
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tbsp milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/325°F/G4.
- Grease and line a 23cm spring-form cake tin and grease again. Tip in the 3tbsp of caster sugar and swirl inside the tin to coat the side and bottom.
- Arrange the apples around the bottom of the tin along with a third of the berries.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, then gradually beat in the eggs. Sift the flour with the ginger and gently fold into the mixture.
- Carefully stir in the milk followed by the remaining blackberries.
- Spoon the batter into the tin over the fruit.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the sponge is springy and golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve either warm or cold.