Box Hill Victoria sponge cake
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
For the sponge:
455g (1lb) of self-raising flour
455g (1lb) of margarine
455g (1lb) of caster sugar
7 medium free-range eggs
15g (1/2 oz) of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
For the filling
115g (4 oz) icing sugar
56g (2 oz) margarine or butter
Drop of vanilla essence (optional)
A jar of your favourite jam
- Mix margarine and sugar together.
- Beat the eggs and add to the mixture.
- Add flour.
- Add baking powder and vanilla essence and stir thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture to 3 x 11inch round cake tin.
- Bake for 25-30mins in oven at gas mark 6 (electric 200).
- Mix the ingredients for the butter cream together, allow sponge to cool, slice in half, then spread with butter cream and a generous helping of jam.