Barrington Court Autumn Pudding
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Cooking time: 24 hours
- 700g (1½lb) prepared mixed fruit (eg apples, blackberries, pears, plums)
- 110g (4oz) sugar
- 6-8 large slices bread, crusts removed
- 5-6 tbsp water
- Fresh fruit or mint sprigs
- Wash and prepare any combination of the fruit.
- Stew gently in the water and sugar until soft but retain their shape.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Cut a round of bread, to fit the base of a 2 pint pudding basin.
- Cut the bread into fingers (keeping some back for the lid) and line the sides of the basin, overlapping slightly.
- Carefully pour the fruit into the prepared basin, retaining 3 tablespoons of the liquid.
- Shake the basin slightly to ensure the fruit fills to bowl.
- Cut the remaining bread to form a lid and cover the fruit.
- Cover with kitchen foil, then place a plate or saucer that just fits inside the bowl on top.
- Place a weight on the plate.
- Allow to cool. Place in the refrigerator and chill overnight.
- Run a knife round the edge of the basin to loosen.
- Invert on to a serving dish.
- Pour the reserved liquid over the pudding.
- Garnish with fresh fruit and sprigs of mint.
- Serve with cream.