Mount Stewart sausage, onion gravy & champ
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 1kg sausages (local pork and leek)
- 1kg onions
- 5gm cracked black pepper
- 100ml red wine
- 150g gravy granules
- 500ml water
- 1.5kg local potatoes
- 100g butter
- 15ml milk
- 1 bunch scallions/spring onions
- 5g salt and pepper
- Pan fry the sausages for 2-3mins on each side, then place in ovenproof dish, cover with tin foil and cook at 180°C for 40mins.
- Place onion and cracked black pepper in pan and cook for 2-3mins then add red wine and reduce for a further 3-4mins.
- Add the water and gravy granules and cook for 20mins.
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cook until soft with a fork prick.
- Mash the potatoes and add butter, milk & seasoning.
- Wash and chop scallion/spring onions into small pieces then add to potatoes mixture and mix well.
- Place Champ in centre of plate, arrange 3-4 sausages on top of the bed of champ and pour over the onion gravy.