Lyme Park blackberry and plum almond tart
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- 250g plain white flour
- 125g butter, diced
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 free range whole egg
- Pinch of salt
- 500g fresh blackberries
- 250g plums
- 200g caster sugar
- 250g unsalted butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 85g ground almonds
- 4 free range whole eggs
- 160g self raising flour
- 1 lemon - zest & juice
- 60g flaked almonds
Preheat oven to 180°-190°C/ gas 4/5. Grease an 8 inch flan tin
- Rub together butter, sugar, sifted flour and salt until the mixture is crumb like.
- Beat the egg and add to the crumb mix with a tablespoon of cold water.
- Mix the dough together to form a soft pastry dough. Wrap in film and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll dough on a floured surface to 1/4inch thickness and line the flan case.
- Bake blind until the pastry is coked but not coloured. Set aside to cool.
Prepare the compote:
- Wash and de-stone the plums put into a hot heavy bottomed saucepan with the sugar and add 2 tablespoons of cold water.
- Heat until the sugar has melted, stirring occasionally.
- Add the washed blackerries to the pan and stir over a low heat until the fruit has softened.
- Take off the heat and set aside to cool.
Prepare Almond Paste:
- Beat together the butter and sugar with the zest of lemon.
- Beat the eggs with the lemon juice and add to the butter mix a little at a time, beating until incorporated.
- Sift the flour and stir in the ground almonds and fold into the mixture until fully mixed together.
- Put the compote into the baked pastry case and top with the almond paste mixture, spreading evenly. Finish with the flaked almonds scattered across the top and bake for 30-40 mins. until golden and an inserted skewer pulls out cleanly.
- This pudding is wonderful served hot with custard sauce or delicious served cold with fresh whipped cream.