Cragside's blackberry and apple crumble
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
For the crumble:
- 340g plain flour
- 230g unsalted butter
- 110g porridge oats
- 110g caster sugar
- 2tbs demerara sugar
- Half a teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
For the filling
- 1.3kg cooking apples
- 280g blackberries
- 230g caster sugar
- 1tsp cornflour
- Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
To make the crumble
- Sift the flour, nutmeg and salt into a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and rub into the flour with your finger tips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the oats and sugar and rub in a little more until the mixture begins to clump together.
- Chill whilst making the filling.
To make the filling
- Pre heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into chunks. Place in a bowl with the blackberries.
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon and cornflour. Sprinkle over the fruit and toss to coat.
- Place the fruit in a shallow ovenproof dish, leaving 2.5cm in space for the topping.
- Scatter the crumble mixture over the fruit and sprinkle with the Demerara sugar.
- Place on a baking sheet in the top third of the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown and the fruit is soft when tested with a skewer.
Serve with custard, whipped or clotted cream.