Cragside's Hodgepodge pie
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours
- 2lb (990g) diced shin beef, shoulder of pork and lamb
- Sunflower oil
- 8oz (225g) sliced onion
- 8oz (225g) sliced carrot
- 8oz (225g) diced turnip
- 4 sticks celery
- 1 1/2 pints of stock
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- Fresh chopped herbs- rosemary, thyme and sage
- 1lb (450g) sliced potatoes
- 2oz (50g) grated Northumbrian Cheviot cheese
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 160oc / gas mark 3
- In a pan brown the meat, transfer to a casserole dish.
- Fry off the onions and carrots.
- Stir in the flour then gradually add the hot stock.
- Pour into the casserole dish, add the pearl barley and the herbs, season to taste.
- Arrange the potato slices on top, cover with the lid, and cook for one and half hour.
- Remove the lid, sprinkle with the cheese and cook a further thirty minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with curly kale or spiced red cabbage.