Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 150g (5oz) soft brown sugar
- 100g (3½oz) sultanas
- 200g (7oz) beetroot, peeled and grated (2-3 medium sized beetroots)
- 150ml (¼ pint) vegetable or sunflower oil
- 2 medium sized eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4
- Grease and line an 8 inch, loose based cake tin.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and soft brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the sultanas and grated beetroot.
- Beat the oil and eggs together and then add to the bowl
- Combine with either a wooden spoon or electric mixer.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1-1¼ hours.
- Insert a metal skewer into the cake; if it comes out clean, then the cake is cooked.
- Cool on a wire rack.