Creamy spinach & ham bake
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb (450 g) chopped spinach
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 8 oz (225 g) cooked ham, chopped finely
- 2 or 3 sprigs of parsley, chopped finely
- 2 or 3 sprigs of thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ pint (400 ml) milk
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons double cream
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 3 (170°C/325°F)
- Put the washed and drained spinach in a bowl with the celery, garlic, ham and parsley.
- Remove leaves from the thyme and add to the bowl with pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Heat the butter in a heavy-based pan, add the flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the milk and bring slowly to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste and then simmer for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Mix the egg yolk and cream together and stir slowly into the sauce, then fold in the spinach and ham mixture.
- Pour into a buttered dish, level the surface, cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.