Cheesy Herb Bread
Starters and soups
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
250g self-raising flour
125g Cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
Small bunch of chives, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1tsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- In a bowl, rub the butter with the flour and salt and pepper until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the cheese and chives and mix together.
- Add the mustard and most of the egg, then gradually mix in the milk to form a soft but not sticky ball.
- Knead on a floured work surface until smooth. Shape into a circle.
- Cut into six segments and place on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining egg.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until well-risen and golden.