Carrot cake with lime topping
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
For the cake:
- 2 eggs
- 100g (4oz) light soft brown sugar
- 75ml (3fl oz) oil (sunflower, vegetable or corn)
- 100g (4oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 175g (6oz) grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50g (2oz) shredded coconut
For the topping:
- 75g (3oz) cream cheese
- 75g (3oz) butter
- 50g (2oz) icing sugar
- Grated rind of 1 lime
- Toasted coconut and grated lime to decorate (optional)
Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5. Grease and line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin or a 17.5cm (7in) round tin.
Beat together the eggs and sugar until very creamy. Add the oil and beat hard. Fold
in the remaining ingredients and turn into the prepared tin.
Smooth the top, then slightly hollow out the middle.
Bake for 35–40 minutes until golden and well risen and a skewer comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
To make the topping, beat the ingredients together until light and creamy and spread over the top of the cake. Make a pattern with the prongs of a fork.
- Recipe taken from Traditional Teatime Recipes by Jane Pettigrew