Erddig Bara Brith
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- 350g (12oz) mixed dried fruit
- 350ml (12fl oz) red wine or cold tea
- 100g (3½ oz) polyunsaturated margarine
- 100g (3½ oz) brown sugar
- 60ml (2fl oz) milk
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) black treacle
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) mixed spice
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- Soak the fruit in the wine/tea overnight in a large saucepan.
- The next day preheat the oven to Gas Mark4/180C/350F.
- Add the margarine, sugar, milk and treacle to the fruit mixture, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool (this takes a long time).
- Add the flour, mixed spice and beaten eggs, and beat well with a spoon.
- Grease and line a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin, and pour in the mixture.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour until skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve thinly sliced, spread with butter.