One family at Llanerchaeron
Llanerchaeron became known as 'home' to ten generations of one family.
Centred around the John Nash villa, the farm and service courtyard are today a great example of a self-sufficient estate in rural Wales.
In 1634 Llewelyn Parry brought the 500 acre Llanerchaeron for 'seven score pounds' (£140.00). This was the beginning of his family's time at Llanerchaeron. In all, ten generations lived and worked at Llanerchaeron, for over three and a half centuries.
Here are just a few of the characters that helped shape the Llanerchaeron we see today.
Colonel William Lewis
Following the death of his older brother, Jack Lewis in Lisbon in 1776 and his father in 1789, William Lewis inherited the family home at Llanerchaeron. It was William Lewis who commissioned a little known architect called John Nash to design a new house for Llanerchaeron.
Mary Ashby Lewis
In 1841 Mary Ashby married John Lewis, the only son of Colonel William Lewis. Following the death of John Lewis in 1855 Mary found herself running the Llanerchaeron estate on her own for 52 years.
Captain Thomas Powell Lewes
Following his great aunt, Mary Ashby Lewis' death, aged 104, T P Lewes inherited the Llanerchaeron estate when he was 58. He also inherited enormous debts which led to selling half of the wider estate. In a time of great social change and the deterioration of Welsh country estates he maintained the traditions and practices of Llanerchaeron.
John Powell Ponsonby Lewes
Inheriting the Llanerchaeron estate from his father, Captain T P Lewes, John Powell Ponsonby Lewes also inherited his passion for hunting. A quiet man, he continued to manage Llanerchaeron in the traditional manner of his forefathers. On his death in 1989 he bequeathed the estate to the National Trust.