A Catholic home during troubled times Baddesley Clinton was a refuge for outlawed priests and their servants.
Although the Ferrers kept a low profile it didn’t stop the priest hunters raiding the house in 1591.
Whilst protestant soldiers searched the house 8 priests hid in one of the 3 priest holes cunningly concealed within the building.
Building the house
Originally built in a Saxon clearing in the Forest of Arden the Great Hall was gradually extended to surround a small open courtyard.
The walls have since been rebuilt in local Arden stone but the oak frame remains at the core of the structure.
The destruction of the Great Hall in the 18th century opened the courtyard to the moat again.
The owners of Baddesley
For a small manor a surprising amount is known about the people who lived at Baddesley.
From Nicholas Brome who killed the local priest for flirting with his wife, Henry Ferrers who lived through the reigns of five monarchs, Marmion Ferrers who revived the house, to Thomas Ferrers-Walker who gave Baddesley into our care.
Did you know?
- The house is built from Arden sandstone, quarried in the grounds
- The shed by the meadow used to be a peacock house
- The medieval wooden plug for the moat was found in one of the ponds
- The brick shelter in the Walled Garden is known as the Donkey House
- The blood stain in the Library is actually pig’s blood
- The oak lectern in the Library started life as a ship’s figurehead